The Leiden University Mandela Scholarships is intended for South African students, who want to study at Leiden University for one semester in order to extend their knowledge and contribute to the development of South Africa.
On March 12, 1999, his Excellency President Nelson Mandela of South Africa received an Honorary Doctorate from Leiden University, the Netherlands. To mark this memorable event, Leiden University founded the Mandela Scholarship Fund. On receiving the award, President Mandela stated that it brought him not only a great honour but also great responsibility.
- 15th October 2023 for programs starting in February 2024
- 1st April 2024 for programs starting in September 2024
Type: Undergraduate, Masters
Eligible Fields of Study:
- Governance and Global Affairs
- Social and Behavioural Sciences,
- Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding
- Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON)
- African Studies Centre
- International Institute for Asian Studies
Eligible Countries: South Africa
Eligibility: Applicants must be:
- permanent residents of South Africa.
- enrolled at a South African University.
- motivated to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa.
- Willing to return to South Africa after their studies.
Value of Award:
The scholarship includes:
- Tuition fees for a one-semester study abroad programme (if applicable)
Note: exchange students are exempted from tuition fees on the basis of the exchange agreement
- Living allowance: € 1000 per month
- Insurance sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by Leiden University’s Scholarships Team
Duration of Scholarship: Five months (1 semester)
How to Apply:
- Submit an online application for admission for an exchange/study abroad course at Leiden University.
- Once you have been admitted to an exchange/study abroad course, complete the Mandela scholarship application form.
- Submit your completed scholarship application form as scanned email attachment to: email@example.com. Make sure to attach all required documents, namely:
- Exchange/study abroad admission letter from Leiden University
- Scholarship motivation letter
- Recent transcript of records from your South African University
- Up-to-date CV
- Photocopy of your valid passport(s)
- Two original letters of recommendation (one of which should be from an academic staff member)
- Documentation showing the status of any other grants you have applied for
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself in the Netherlands (the Mandela scholarship does not cover all expenses). This can take form of:
- a student grant letter showing the exact amount and duration of your grant, or
- a recent bank statement in your name, or
- a notary statement declaring that your parents have sufficient financial means to support you.