All About Student Accommodations in Canada

After you’ve determined where you want to study in Canada, the next step is to decide where you want to live. Students in Canada have several alternatives. Whether you live on campus or in a private residence, you will be able to locate suitable lodging.

The type of accommodation you select will be determined by your budget, expectations, and length of stay in Canada. When it comes to accommodation, your first port of call should be the international student office or the school’s website. They will be able to assist you with your housing hunt.

On-Campus Housing

Many Canadian universities provide housing on or near campus in the form of dormitories/residence halls, townhouses, and apartments. Dormitories (dorms) are larger buildings that accommodate several students, whereas townhouses are independent structures that house three to six students.

Dorm rooms vary in size and quality, so look through any available photographs on your school’s website. They are often operated directly by the school and contain a shared kitchen, bathroom, and laundry facilities. Many dorms also have a dining hall where students can purchase a food plan. You’ll most likely share a room with one or two housemates, who will be divided by gender. Dorms are typically recommended for first-year students, but they may also be a terrific place for all students to meet new people and get involved on campus.

Townhouses are built for three to six students and feature single-occupancy rooms (no shared rooms here) and a main level with a kitchen and living room area. This sort of housing is often designated for students in their third or fourth year.

If you’re just in Canada for a semester, staying on campus is definitely easier than looking for off-campus lodging. If you’re staying for a longer amount of time, you can consider staying in the dorms for the first semester and then making different long-term arrangements once you’ve gotten to know the area better.

Most Canadian students in their first and second years of school want to stay on campus. As an international student, you may discover that living in dorms makes it easier to establish friends and save money on transportation. On-campus accommodation costs between $3,000 to $7,500 CDN per academic year.

Off-Campus Housing

When looking for off-campus private housing, check with your school’s housing office or student union office for a list of local rental apartments. Remember that your school will not inspect these lodgings, thus it will be your job to contact the landlord and inspect the premises.

Renters have a variety of housing options open to them. Because a house is usually too expensive for a single student to rent alone, many students may commonly share or rent suites within a bigger property. Apartments with one to three bedrooms are also available.

Most rental apartments are unfurnished, although temporary furnished apartment rentals can be found before you arrive in Canada. If you just intend to stay in the country for a limited period of time, this may be the ideal option for you. Otherwise, you’ll have to find and buy your own furnishings.

Private rentals necessitate the signing of a lease, which is a legal contract outlining your responsibilities as a tenant. These obligations include paying rent on time, keeping the premises clean, repairing any damage caused by you or your guests, and not bothering other tenants. Landlords may also add additional restrictions and conditions to the lease, so read it well before signing. Request a copy of any paperwork you sign.

Your landlord is also responsible for maintaining the property in excellent shape. In an emergency, the landlord has the authority to enter your home without warning; otherwise, advance notification with a justification for the request is required. If the landlord requires you to evacuate the premises, 60 days early notice is normally necessary, but read your lease carefully as provisions may differ.

Off-campus housing prices, quality, and availability will vary. You should budget between C$400 and C$1,500 per month, depending on the location and neighborhood you choose, as well as whether you have any co-tenants. Landlords often need one month’s rent as a security deposit. If there are no damages to the property, this will be repaid to you when you move out.

As you conduct research, you will discover which living arrangements are best for you. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice, and remember that you aren’t obligated to go with your first option. You can always try dorms your first year and then move to off-campus accommodation the following year. It’s all a learning process, just like most international student experiences.

A Guide to Careers in Medicine

Apply for Africa Science Leadership Programme Fellowship (ASLP) 2023